Few things are easier to throw together when guests are coming over than a crudité platter: All you need are some gorgeous raw vegetables and this simple herb dip. Toasted almonds and pepitas help to thicken it, but this dip gets layers and layers of flavor from garlic, warm paprika, bright sumac, and spicy cayenne. Note: If you’re not a cilantro fan, you can omit it and just double the parsley!
- ¼ c almonds
- 2 tbsps raw pepitas
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ jalapeno, seeds removed
- 1 c parsley leaves, tightly packed
- 1 c cilantro leaves, tightly packed
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- ½ c olive oil
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp sumac
- Small pinch cayenne
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Assorted raw vegetables, for serving
- In a small nonstick pan over medium-low heat, toast the almonds for 3 to 5 minutes, until fragrant and browned. Slide them into the bowl of a food processor to cool. In the same pan, toast the pepitas quickly, only about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add them to the food processor and let them cool while you gather the other ingredients.
- Grind the almonds and pepitas until they’re a coarse powder. Add the garlic and jalapeno and blend.
- Add the parsley and red wine vinegar and blend. You may have to push the mixture down the sides, as it will be thick.
- Blend in the oil and spices until the dip becomes a smooth paste. Season generously with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Serve with your favorite raw vegetables.