In collaboration with our friends at Cobblestone Goods
Warm spices take this rich, moist cake to the next level, adding depth and flavor. Sticky, indulgent, and everything you could want in a dessert. Dollop soft whipped cream on top and never look back!
3/4 cup pitted dates, chopped
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp organic allspice
1/4 tsp organic nutmeg
1/2 tsp organic cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tbsp molasses
1/2 tsp salt
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, then slowly stream in the heavy cream. Add in the dark brown sugar, molasses, and salt. Whisk often until the mixture bubbles. Turn off heat and stir a few times until mixture is smooth. Turn off heat.
- In a small saucepan, combine chopped dates and water over low heat until dates are soft and water is almost fully absorbed, 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly butter six 1/2-cup ramekins, or an 8” square cake pan. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together butter and brown sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Pour in the date mixture and use a spatula to gently fold it into the batter.
- Add in the dry ingredients and beat at a low speed - don’t overmix!
- Spoon the batter into the ramekins or the cake pan. Smooth the top(s) with a spatula. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly.
Unmold the cake(s), turning them upside down. Transfer to a plate & spoon heaping tablespoons of the toffee sauce onto the warm cake. Serve with soft whipped cream & enjoy!